With overpopulation and pollution running rampant, drinking safe tap water is becoming an issue in some areas of the country.
In fact, even though the USA has one of the safest watersupplies on the planet, research has recently revealed that 610 sites across 43 states contain toxic levels of harmful contaminants such as PFAS chemicals.
Fortunately, there are ways to ensure you and your family are drinking high-quality and healthy water.
Got you hooked?
In this blog post, you’ll learn how to easily turn your tap water into crystal clear, and safe drinking water.
Boiling Your Tap Water
This is the easiest and cheapest way to remove contaminants from your tap water. That’s because heating water to boiling point can kill any bacteria, viruses, or parasites, reducing your risks of getting sick from contaminated water.
- Pour your water into a pot.
- Check whether it’s cloudy. If it is, use a coffee filter or a cloth to filter it first and remove any debris.
- Once it’s clear, heat the water at medium or high heat for 5 minutes (if you live in altitude, you’ll need to heat it for longer).
- Let it sit at a rolling boil for approximately 10 minutes.
Note that although this method effectively kills pathogens, it won’t remove chemicals or heavy metals from your tap water.
Using Iodine Tablets
Iodine tablets are designed to kill bacteria and viruses contained in water. They’re really simple to use. Put your tablet in a jug of water (one tablet per liter) and let it sit in the jug for four hours before drinking. While this method is extremely easy and cost-effective, just like with the boiling method, iodine tablets won’t remove chemicals from your drinking water.
Using Pine Trees and Cilantro
Yes, you read properly!
Using pine trees and cilantro can help you effectively remove pathogens and heavy metals from your water. Here’s how to purify your water with these plants:
- Harvest a small branch from a pine tree
- Remove the bark from the stick
- Put the bare stick in a bucket
- Slowly pour the water along the stick and into the bucket.
Now that the pathogens are trapped in the sap of the stick, time to remove the heavy metals.
- Pour your filtered water into a jug
- Place a few cilantro leaves into the jug
- Stir and let it rest for one hour
- Remove the cilantro leaves and enjoy your highly purified water!
Using the SODIS Method
SODIS stands for solar water disinfection. It’s a simple process that harnesses the power of sunlight to kill germs, bacteria, and viruses in water.
And if you’re not convinced, know that many scientific studies have backed up the efficiency of the SODIS method.
- Fill a clear plastic bottle with water
- Close the lid
- Place the bottle on its side in direct sunlight
- Leave it there for six hours
Note that the bottle needs to be in direct sunlight throughout the whole time to effectively kill any pathogens.
Investing in a Commercial Water Filter
Using a commercial water filter is the most efficient way to ensure your water is safe to drink. Indeed, these products are specifically designed to filter out harmful contaminants.
Water filters come in different formats and prices. From water pitchers or faucet-attachment filters to reverse osmosis purification systems, the range of options available is wide.
Yet, the most efficient way to remove any harmful contaminants from your drinking water is by installing a reverse osmosis water purification system in your home. Put simply, reverse osmosis is a process during which contaminated water is forced through a semi-permeable membrane that traps up to 99% of dangerous contaminants.
Although a bit more expensive than other types of filter, the high-quality purification method used during the reverse osmosis process will allow you to enjoy the highest quality water at the turn of your tap.
Looking to Buy a Water Filter?
If you’re looking for a high-quality water filter made in the USA to purify your tap water, we’ve got you covered at Filtersmart. Our range of filters includes whole house water filters, anultraviolet disinfection system, salt-free softeners, and even a powerful reverse osmosis water filter.
What’s more, our premium systems only remove harmful contaminants, leaving healthy minerals in the water so that you can still enjoy the benefits of naturally occurring minerals for your health.
Made from premium materials, our filters will allow you to:
- Drink healthy and safe tap water
- Remove any bad smell or odor
- Keep your clothes smooth and clean
- Maintain the efficiency of your appliances and keep them running for longer
- Protect your skin and hair
- Reduce your energy bills
- Protect the environment by reducing plastic pollution
So, don’t hesitate to browse our range or get in touch with our team for more information!